More than 110 cities around the world took part in local hackathons, workshops and discussions on using open data to serve their communities on international Open Data Day this year.
To commemorate the day, we held a workshop in Sydney, coinciding with with Code for America's CodeAcross with the theme: 'Principles of a 21st Century Government'. The event was an opportunity for anyone interested in open data and open government to workshop together what a future government could look like and commit to making it happen. No talk fest, just brainstorming and working together on how government, industry and citizens can work together on civic issues.
We saw developers, designers, public servants, librarians, open data advocates and everyday citizens engage in the discussion because they were either developing applications, analysing and visualising data, making it more accessible or encouraging governments to adopt open data policies, and for government to leverage the economic and transparency benefit that come with opening their data.
The principles & how we can make them happen
- Making things personalised, especially web services
- Open events for everyone to participate
- Government as a platform that allows other to help solve problems
- Industry have been leveraging data for a while to improve services and programs. Let's make it happen for government.
- It's not a cookie cutter approach to everything
- Let's not be reactive, but plan for the future
Datasets and areas of interest in NSW
- Health and Safety
- Crime statistics
- School geolocations
- Voluntary School fees
- Fees Attainment
- Real time
- Passenger numbers in cars and stations
- Planning applications & permits
We're probably going to be organising more targeted workshops like:
- Introduction to Open Gov & Open Data workshops - overview presentation on agenda, progress and how to make an open data request
- Meet the data owners: single department with industry and community
- Visualisation workshop: learn to visualise data for industry, government or the public
- Problem / solution workshop: single department posing challenges & community pitching solutions
Releasing data workshop to populate census: http://au-city.census.okfn.org
To be kept in the loop, click HERE
Check out the photos HERE